GTD or ADD or FOMO?

Screen-Shot-2014-09-14-at-7.35.21-PM

As I sit here on my computer beginning to type this blog I start think what I did about 20 minutes prior to starting it. As a matter of fact I cleaned up my room a bit, checked a few social media accounts, turned on my computer, and put my phone in my desk drawer. Honestly that is my routine prior to starting on anything that I need to get done. For this week’s topic of “Getting Things Done” not only do I research on how others attempt to accomplish tasks without multiple tasking, but I also compare my own simple ways to Get Things Done!

Photo from addnewbie.com
Photo from addnewbie.com

For the most part it seems like people now a days have a hard time getting things done due to all the distractions we have. When I say distractions I mean the internet and technology. The internet is a bittersweet (yes, bitter) thing unfortunately because of how it is used overall. Last week’s topic talked about how we are always on the internet, how that affects us in positive and negative ways, and how getting things done has a lot to do with that. So what I have found in most of my research this past week is the fact that in the recent years, technology has been the primary cause of early development of ADD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) in teenagers. Personally I think that has been misconceived in a huge way since people have been throwing that phrase around. Now don’t get me wrong, I clearly understand that there are many people who have serious cases of ADD and have trouble focusing especially when it comes to the distraction of technology. Just because we have advanced in technology in many ways doesn’t mean moms have to freak out and instantly assume their child is diagnosed with ADD. Yes technology can be a big distraction in getting things done because of how entertaining it may be, I GET IT, but it’s kind of like saying that every nice day we have is also a cause of ADD because I would imagine a lot of people would want to be out doing something instead of getting work done. We can’t instantly come to conclusion of blaming our lack of getting things done on the things in life that are controllable. 

As I begin this third paragraph I have yet to open up a new tab, check my email or check my phone (Yes it is possible people!). I think this is all possible because of what I did before starting this blog. As I said in the first paragraph, I did what I needed to do along with putting my phone away hoping that can help me Get Things Done. I know that getting focused and getting things done is different for everyone but I have been on both sides of being productive and procrastinating.  I have developed similar strategies on getting my work done ever since I have been in college but it has never been that way. High school leading into college is when I first heard anything about Twitter and Instagram because I was a heavy user on Facebook. Getting further into college I have just learned to discipline myself more and more because I have to just put it my head that I am not missing anything too important that involves my phone, internet, social media, etc. With that said I have been informed over these past few years from my peers of the social anxiety formally well known as FOMO (Fear of missing out). My freshmen year I always thought I would be missing out on something if I didn’t have my phone to check social media, but honestly I have came to conclusions that 60% of the time, I’m right all the time*. I think that it is another big reason of why people, especially students, have trouble getting things done. Rather it be on social media or real life socially, people think they will always be missing something if they don’t check their phone every 4 1/2 minutes. Personally I think it is just the mindset someone needs to develop in their head from experiences they have had. Now I know there are people who are soooooo popular with their phone that it literally buzzes every 4 1/2 minutes but I think situations like that are required for a job. Then on the other hand, there are people who think that it is a good idea to “slide into peoples DM’s“, Facebook message, and text multiple people at a time simply because they are bored.

Overall I understand that getting things done is a tougher task than it was only 5 year or so ago. But as humans of always changing we must simply adapt to what our society is going through. Since I don’t think we will have automatic robots that will do everything for us in the near future, we must find our own personal routines that works best for us to get things done.

*Slightly adjusted quote from the film Anchorman 

Photo from planetivy.com
Photo from planetivy.com