New Message From: God

Source: universallifechurch.org
Source: universallifechurch.org

It seems as though we have gone to an age where we depend on our technology too much. Wherever we go, there is ‘an APP’ or ‘go like us on Facebook’ yada yada yada. What happens when technology gets into the church? Would we advertize for churches to be popular on Facebook? I know my church is currently on Facebook, which I really do not understand because I know a lot of elderly people who are currently not on the site. Another thing is that when my mother tries to tell me something, I already know via social media. It gets her angry because I knew before her or before she would tell me in person.

Source: pomomusings.com
Source: pomomusings.com

When I went to the COR 302 trip last year, we visited The Church on the Rock. It was a great time and the atmosphere was great there. The only thing that surprised me was that the priest was using his iPad to give the sermon. It is one thing to be on your phone during church, but a priest using technology? Is this showing that a church is ‘hip’? Does this give others an opportunity to use their phones as ‘Bibles’? Clearly I am old school on this subject. Seeing this happening really baffled me. Seeing a priest scrolling as he was giving us the word. It was a first for me and probably other on the trip. As a church, you need to a good ole Bible. There is nothing wrong with a physical book.
I also think that this gives people more opportunities to look at other things rather than a ‘Bible APP’. That being said, would God appreciate if you were playing Candy Crush because you got a notification during church? No, of course not. I think it just gives a distraction to someone to be on their phone.

Source: funny-pictures.picphotos.net
Source: funny-pictures.picphotos.net

Let me tell you that I am guilty of using technology in church. I use to bring my iPod to church to play games while I was sitting with my friends. First off, I know we have all done that. Where we sit with our buddies in a pew because sitting with our parents meant we had to behave. I usually sat behind them so they did not know what I was doing. Being with my friends we would Yahoo! Message and play on our phones. You know, totally focusing on the word of God. I know it was the wrong place to do that and I feel regretful now to do so. I will not even bring my phone to church anymore. I am there to worship, not play around. As an adult now, I realize the mistake I made.
Does phones and technology make us less of a Christian? I know when we were talking about this subject in class most of us were in favor of using a Bible APP instead of a physical Bible. I do think it brings more modern people into the Christian world. It seems less intimidating for newly acquitted Christians. There are still those who have been through many generations without relying on technology. Do you think it is odd that there are churches just streaming a live broadcast from somewhere? Would you still get the same message? My cousin use to go to a church that streamed their sermon via satellite.

In all, I think whether you like it or not…people are going to be using technology. It can help those who need God in their lives and also those who maybe curious about Him. I am an oldie who likes a sermon preached to me and not through a screen. What do you look for? God through text or God through APP?

[youtube id=”Stlk8DWfzYo” width=”” height=”” wmode=”transparent” showinfo=”1″ autohide=”0″ quality=”auto]