The Greenville Students Who Stepped Out of a Train and Watched Films (Film Review)

The_Hundred-Year-Old_Man_Who_Climbed_Out_the_Window_and_Disappeared
Photo from imdb.com

After visiting the great windy city of Chicago, it was great to recap on all the stuff that happen over the trip. Train rides, exploring the city, and seeing all the films at the 50th Anniversary Chicago Film Festival were all good things to experience. Looking back to when I was choosing out my films that I wanted to see, I didn’t really know what to expect since I have never been to any type of film festival. I chose to see all foreign films that all had genres including comedy, drama, and romance. One of the most interesting films I saw at the festival was “The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared“.

“The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared” is a 2013 Swedish comedy film directed by Felix Herngren. It is based on the novel with the same name by Jonas Jonasson. Having a really long and specific title, the film really surprised me. I chose the film because it was considered a comedy and because the description sounded like it would be a film I would enjoy.

During the beginning of the film I thought it was going to be a joke of a film. I thought this because there were a few scenes in the beginning that had sloppy camera zooms and camera work. Also because the film started with a funny scene with the main character, Allan, blowing up a fox for killing his cat leading him into the retirement home. This quick change of setting gave me an uncomfortable feel. With that said, I then thought Herngren’s choice of how Allen “Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared” was lazy. Don’t quote me on the time, but it felt like all of this happen in 5-10 minutes of the film which left me confused of what was going to happen in the rest of the time. But since the”Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared” part of the title already technically happen, I was interested on what was going to happen for the rest of the film.

After the Allan climbed out the window is where I can recall where I started to understand the direction of where the film was headed. Since it was a comedy film I thought there was going to be a lot more funny parts than what there was. But I feel that Herngren put just the right amount of funny scenes that were all hilarious. I rather prefer comedy films to have less funny scenes that are hilarious than a lot of not so funny scenes. I think that keeps comedy films interesting so the audience can be retreated back to the comedy mood if there are other moods going on the film. So once I started to understand the feel for this film, I began to really enjoy it.

Allan goes throughout the film with a “what ever” type attitude which I loved. Also since he would always refer himself to other people that he was 100 years old who’s going to pass away any day now, expresses that Allan had a sense of humor. Even though most of us aren’t 100 years old, the message I got from this film was to not take life too serious. For example, the 100 year old Allan literally walks out of a window of his retirement home where he had comfort, food, and clothes, just because he felt like it. I thought it was great how the film plays out with Allan meeting different types of people throughout his journey of “disappearing” that all impacted how the film plays out. I actually now just realized that each person he met in the film ends up having an effect on what happens later in the film. Even though everything just happens to work out in the long run, it was funny how Herngren incorporates drama and even famous history figures and events in the film. Having these in the film really gave the film a unique style. The effects and coloring editing were done really well in order to illustrate all of these different time periods that Allan had all been a part of. With that said it was really clever having the main character a part of major US events that gave the film an extra laugh here and there.

Without getting too deep, “The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared” is filled with laughter along with reminding us that we’re never too old to do anything that we want to do. I think Herngren wanted Allan to be 100 years old with the personality he had in order to express the films attitude. I don’t think this film would have been the same if Allan was by a typical mid-aged actor and if the film was called “The 38 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared”. I would recommend this film to anyone who enjoys clever comedies that still retreat back to the use of history and that even teach morals. Below is the American version of the trailer of “The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared”. 

[youtube id=”3BOoPKQGNjg” width=”” height=”” wmode=”transparent” showinfo=”1″ autohide=”0″ quality=”auto]

Video by Top Movies Trailers