Lights, Camera, Action

Face, a hero from the home movie The Guardians

It took me a long time before I finally decided that I wanted to work in the movie industry, specifically writing and directing my own. My friends and I loved making home movies in high school. Just doing stupid stuff or writing and shooting small scripted shorts. Our senior year we actually made an hour long superhero movie. I loved doing it and it allowed me to really express myself and my creativity, but I never thought that I would be able to do it for a living. It’s such a hard industry to get into that I didn’t really consider pursuing it.

I entered Illinois State University into the education program. I wanted to be a high school science teacher. I figured that would be a lot more stable than trying to make money in the movie world. I spent one year in the physics department, then my sophomore year I switched over to Earth and Space Science. Halfway through that year though, I had decided that I’d had enough and I was going to pursue film. I finished out the year at ISU and then transferred to Heartland Community College for my junior year to finish up getting my associates degree. After that, I transferred to Greenville College into the digital media-video and film track.

I’ve been a lot happier with myself ever since I decided to do film. It’s what I truly want to do. I want to share my ideas with the world. But I’m new to it. Well I’m new to taking it seriously at least. So I’ve been learning a lot of tools and tricks to help me become a better film maker. I ultimately want to write and direct my own movies. I think it’s the coolest thing in the world to come up with something and then see an idea that’s just in your head come to life in front of you. That’s why I do it. I want to express my ideas and share them.

I’m still learning a lot about the industry too. I know that it’s a really hard field to break into. But I’m optimistic. New names pop up in the industry every week. Some no name makes a really good movie and they’re the talk of the town. I’m hoping that I can do that too. That I can get one big break that propels me forward.

I also need to study more. And by that, I mean just watch more movies. I just recently started taking film seriously, so all the old movies that I’ve seen, I had no idea who directed them, and I didn’t really care. I was only invested in it for the story. Now I want to know everything. I want to know who’s the best and study them. I want to watch the movies of all of the greats; Steven Spielberg, Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese. I’m taking the class Great Movie Making over interterm, so that should really help me a lot. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to watch these movies, take them all in, and develop a style of film making of my own.

I’m going out to Los Angeles to do the LA Film Studies program next fall. It’s my hope that I can get out there, meet some people, and then stay out there and start a career in film. I know that’s a big hope, but I’m really banking on it. It would be so awesome to start right away out of college doing something that I love doing. I’ll start at the bottom and work my way up, but being a writer and director is ultimately what I want to do with my life.