Thanks FCC

In most recent times, the word ‘net neutrality’ has surfaced in the news. I really didn’t know what that entailed up until now. According to good ole Wikipedia, net neutrality is “the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or mode of communication. ”

[youtube id=”uKcjQPVwfDk” width=”” height=”” wmode=”transparent” showinfo=”1″ autohide=”0″ quality=”auto]

So…what really ARE the rules of this neutrality? One article stated a ‘internet tax” but that could be overruled by freedom of speech. I mean why would someone want to pay taxes on the internet? Would we have to pay for each time we want to post a blog with OUR opinion? Complete and utter stupidity. One thing that gets me is that there are so many things out there that are bad. No one forces you to look at them. I think this open internet would be a good idea. In an article for FCC; they suspect that open internet will “decide what lawful content they want to access, create, or share with others.”

Source: tumblr.com
Source: tumblr.com

Okay, so back to the rules. Internet providers will have all these agreements, terms & conditions, as well as other resourceful information for their broadband services. This rule helps consumers make informed choices about their broadband service, and it gives providers information that will help them in the long run. Another rule that is being included in this is the fact that companies such as Netflix, Hulu, or any streaming company cannot be allowed to determine the speed and connectivity of users internet. THANK. YOU. JESUS. No more buffering from 75% to 90% and back to 30% for this girl!

Source:  wall.alphacoders.com
Source: wall.alphacoders.com

Sounds all great and dandy, right? I read some comments from articles I looked up for research and a commenter said that this net neutrality is basically the Obamacare for the internet. This downside of this is that everyone will have the same internet. No competition, no annoying ads that would pop up on every electronic device we have. This, will create a ‘no discrimination’ for everyone. Basically, everyone will be on Obamacare. Whether you’re unhealthy or tech-savvy.
Would the new phrase be “thanks FCC” instead of “thanks Obama”? If this all goes down in the near future, the FCC will have more power than before. Not necessarily censoring everything that goes on the internet, but having more control over broadband services. The FCC will have the whole world, in their network. In an article posted by The Wall Street Journal, they are making it seem as though the Democrats are in favor over the Republicans. Hmm…do I see a 2016 campaign brewing? “2016, WE the people stand behind neutrality!” You know, since there is NOTHING worse out there than not being able to stream Bob’s Burgers as fast as the speed of light.

Source: theharbinger.org
Source: theharbinger.org

Despite what is going on with this net neutrality, in a few years will it matter? Remember when our parents were worried about Y2K? Somehow the world was going to be taken over by robots. Is this another fad of actions that the government is trying to put out over us? I wouldn’t doubt it. If the White House can’t even get a webpage correct for Obamacare, how do you think they will work the internet? I am a firm believer of ‘I have to see it before I believe it”. I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one. If anyone needs questions answered, I would go to this website. Not only is it straight to the point, but really give you the information. NO fluff-and-puff about the subject matter.