Relationships, Digitally

Whether you realize it or not, you are in a digital relationship. In fact, I would say that 99% of the world has experienced a digital relationship. (I say this, because there’s gotta be some weirdo somewhere who hasn’t) Now let me explain what I mean by this. The basic definition of a relationship is “a connection, association, or involvement,” so that’s how I’m going to use it. I’m taking that as any interaction between people. So that can range from reading this blog to online dating. Just by reading this blog, we have a relationship as reader and writer. But the most common thing that people think about when it comes to digital relationships is a romantic one, so I’m going to focus primarily on that.

I’ve been in a couple digital relationships myself. This is due largely to the long-distance nature of the relationships. One was with my ex-girlfriend, and the other was with my wife. Cassi was at ISU and I was at Greenville, which was about a two hour drive. So because of the distance, we would text, call, message on Facebook, and talk on Skype. Obviously, it was hard, but modern technology made it a bit easier than it used to be. I feel bad for older people who only had calling and real mail.

I think that all of this technology really helps relationships though. It allows people to talk more frequently and stay in touch. You can text almost constantly. On Facebook, you can share funny and relevant things with each other. And Skype allows you to be able to still see the other person even if you aren’t with each other, which is a really great thing. I was always thankful for the technology that I had when I was in a long distance relationship.

So I think that digital relationships are great. They help connect people and bring them closer even when they aren’t physically close to each other.