An Endless Cycle (Ch 4)

Though this chapter is about a lot of things, I really do not understand what it is about. Due to this, I chose to use a very small topic that I hope I can ramble about for 600 words. One of the sections of this chapter talks about some unhelpful things society tells us to do when we are looking advance our career, or simply find a job. I would specifically like to talk about the second unhelpful tip in the chapter, develop your skills. Though this is not an awful thing to do, there is a chance that we get ourselves stuck in a routine of learning new skills, but never decide to execute the skills that we learn. We end up with all these skills and no experience to show for it. With no experience, instead of advancing our in our careers, we may very well end up backtracking. 08a3135221d201e16e67c55a94880e7fbc16ae275ac114d501f7b5a8ee9c5925

Not only is simply developing skills unhelpful in advancing your career, it will not help you start a career either. Employers are not interested in what you can theoretically do, they want hard evidence of what you are capable of. If you spend all of your time looking for new things to learn, and no time putting yourself out there to actually do these things, you will not have the experience necessary to even be considered for a job. I know that everyone wants to find their perfect job the first time, but that is fairly unlikely to happen. Instead of moping about that you did not get the first (and probably only) job that you applied to, go back out there and try again. It’s not like Google can hire every applicant every time they go through a new hiring process. Go apply at some smaller places. Just get some experience in the field. Take an internship if you have to. Just keep trying, and by all means, do not act like this guy.

Is getting a job easy, no. At no point have I assumed that it is easy to get a job, but I do believe that it is possible for anyone to find some kind of work. I know first hand how difficult is can be to find a job, but I also know how great it feels to actually have real work to put on a resume after finally finding one. Just be realistic when trying to make the climb up the career ladder, and be patient. There are tons of jobs out there just waiting to be taken.

This brings me to the part where I ramble about my own experience with this topic for 200 or so words. I had a really hard time finding a job for a long time. I still struggle to find work that I really want to do, but I am doing small jobs to build a resume and a list of references for the future. I am not particularly fond of my job at the IT Help Desk, but it is a job in my chosen field, and I will make the best of it. Eventually, it may be useful on my resume. It shows that I am able to communicate technology to people that may be less technically inclined, and that is something that is looked for by some employers. Sometimes the best thing to do with a bad job is to think about what it will do for you in the future, rather than what it is doing for you right now.

Today’s quote of the day is this.

“The future depends on what you do today.” – Mahatma Gandhi