Archetypes

In the first chapter, “Archetypes, Not Stereotypes”, it specifically expands about geek’s archetypes. It defines a geek and talks about contrasting geeks and non-geeks. The first chapter is really just giving the reader a background to the book and it’s purpose. It explains that it is important top understand the differences of people and know how to manage certain people, in this case geeks. Geeks generally act, think, and do things a certain way, or at least stay in a general area of actions. When you are a manager or leader for a group of people it is important to know how to relate to them and get to know them if you want to be successful.

I grew up in a home that was very technical. My father is a Computer wizard. He was the IT guy at my high school until he retired a few years ago. So I have grown up learning about computers since a very young age. So I know how to relate to geeks a lot better than I can relate to non-geeks. This has made it harder for me to relate to people growing up. If it was up to me I would stay in my room all day and play on my computer and I would be completely fine with not talking to people for days at a time. But unfortunately I cannot live like that.. at least not right now. So I had to learn to relate to others But through the years I have learned to relate to non-geeks. Sports have specifically helped me do this by giving me something in common with others. It is good to know about others and why they think what they think and do what they do. This chapter is pretty much explaining this to the reader and preparing them to learn about geeks. Here is a music video that i think relates. It is called “Cool Kids”. It a song from the perspective of a non-cool kid. The majority of people when they hear “geek” they relate that to being not cool.

People seem to think that being different is a bad thing but it really is not. We need to learn to relate to others. Being a closet geek is hard. Everyone sees me as a “jock” because I play baseball but really it is hard for me to hold that appearance. When you really get to know me you soon realize who I really am. And this is a prime example of why we cannot stereotype and write people off as a certain thing. This is exactly what the chapter is trying to say, that we need to understand people on a deeper level to really be able to relate to them. Yes, it tells us how geeks generally think, but it wants us to understand how to relate to that.

Overall, the chapter was a good opener to the book. It makes a clear thesis and lets the reader know exactly what to expect. I am excited to read on and see how much I relate to their definitions of a “geek”. If I end up managing technical people one day I feel like I will really appreciate this class and it will really help me with my career. People are different in a lot of many ways and more people need to understand that and move on from stereotyping. Overall, no matter whether you’re a geek, jock, nerd, and so on… it is important as an individual to get out of your box as much as possible because you never know where you will end up one day. You could be a coach of the cardinals or a manger for apple, you never know where you may end up and the more experience you have, the better you can do your job.