Managing to Manager

Chapter four is called “Geek to Manager” The first sentence is “New managers have no idea what they’re getting into.” I totally agree with this, because even with people who have been managers before don’t really know what they will be getting in to when joining a new company or being promoted to a leadership role, because your now over seeing different people.

I chose this video because it represents change from the staff prospective, because most times people who are getting promoted are not necessarily liked right off the bat, this could be due to jealously from not receiving the position himself, or it could be due to the fact that its hard watching others get noticed around you due to the way that they are liked by superiors.

This video shows an example of how favoritism can be seen in the workplace, and I’m sure everyone has examples of this happening to either them, or colleagues, however I am not sure this is common when it comes to Geek managers. From my understanding of Geek managers, they seem to gravitate towards competency, rather then the random interns sucking up to them to move up in the company. Suck up’s seem to have more effect on suits, this may be because there tend to be more suit managers so there are just more examples of this, due to the high velocity of suit managers. However not all suits allow sucking up to work, for instance I consider myself a suit, however someone who sukcs up to me when they aren’t putting in the work doesn’t get a pardon. For instance in group projects, when someone says they will do something and doesn’t come through time and time again they don’t get anywhere with me. However from what I learned when it comes to Geeks, people who don’t come through get less slack from a Geek manager then from a suit. Mainly because Geeks like getting things done, and they seem to eradicate all the incompetence in front of them to do so. This is where I feel Geek managers can be superior to suit managers. There doesn’t seem to be an emotional side to it which is how it should be, when you are at work, you should only be trying to accomplish the task at hand.

The book talks about the four essential skills for new managers, which start with un learning bad habits, or start learning better habits. Habits that get you to accomplish the task at hand. For instance the book says for technical managers to “let go of doing” and delegate more, mainly because you are now in a leadership role where you have to not only worry about what you need to accomplish, you have to think about what everyone else needs to get done as well. Second is figuring out the learning curve of what managers actually do. For instance there’s a quote from the author saying “ I want to manage the technology not the people. “ however that’s the learning curve because each person is different, you can not manage each person the same way. Each person is an individual and they all are motivated by different things. Measuring managerial success, similar to what I said earlier, you can no longer judge your work by what you solely produce, rather than what who you oversea produces.  Lastly is crossing boundaries, you are instantly thrown into the fire pit of communication and for Geeks it seems that is a bit of an obstacle, so some boundaries that may get crossed are personal boundaries with employees to connect to them.

This chapter was overall very interesting, seeing the thought process of a new manager from the geek perspective, I think all of these ideas could be useful to all new managers.