Presentation Do’s and Don’ts

Funny Presentation FactI would like to start with this picture. I chose it because I feel that it is a funny representation of how people don’t really have a clear idea of  how to present, as well as what it looks like. This chapter is “A Geek’s Guide To Presenting To Business People”. Presenting is tough, and generally no one likes to do it. So its hard to know what type of presentation will actually keep the audiences attention. This chapter focuses on ways to appeal to a business audience, as well as some techniques to make your presentation go a lot smoother. When researching on Forbes, I cam across an article that gives you some very good points to think about before you actually present. Take a look at it, it is very useful! For this article I will be focusing on how to clarify your goals, 5 tips on how to make information easy to remember, and 3 tools for eliciting emotion to the audience.

CLARIFY YOUR GOALS

It is important to be very clear on the point of your presentation. What is the point you are trying to get across to the audience? The book gives these three very common purposes why people present to business people.

1. Influence Decisions

2. Manage expectations and share status

3. Leverage opportunities

Presentations are a good way to help listeners make a well informed decision, and help influence their thought process. They are also a good way to divide up expectations among peers and coworkers, as well as share how the project is going so far. Most importantly, though, presentations are a great attention getter when you need people to focus on any topic that is important to you. This is why it’s so important to present effectively and efficiently. On presentationmagazine.com they give you some easy useful tips on how to better prepare, and run a smooth presentation. Look here for some Hints and Tips.

5 TIPS TO MAKING INFORMATION EASY TO REMEMBER

1. technical-presentationDiscover how your audience likes to be communicated with

2. Don’t write a reference guide

3. Use slides as headlines

4. Verbs are better than nouns

5. Don’t use slides as handouts

I used this picture because I feel like it perfectly represents the differences of how geeks present. Geeks want to be very technical, but not everyone is like that. That’s why the first point is so important. Don’t present information how you would want to hear it, think of the audience. Study your audience and prepare accordingly.

An experience I had with this is when I took Speech Communication my first year at Greenville College. I was going to do an informative speech on how computers worked. This is something that I have expertise on and originally was going to use a lot of technical terms, because that is how I would explain it to myself. The more I thought of it though the more I realized that I had to explain it in such a way that the audience would understand. Because of this I carefully explained it in a much simpler way and as a result the audience understood it a lot better. What really helped me stay on track during my presentation was a list such as this, Tips for a Killer Presentation. While I wish I could find the original, this helped me make my presentation a lot more organized and precise. I ended up getting an A on that, and was happy about how professional it turned out to be.

3 TOOLS FOR ELICITING EMOTION

1. Facts

2. Insights

3. Stories

Last but not least put some emotion into your presentations. You don’t have to go over the top, but I always find that relating it to your personal experiences makes the presentation more real. It is a great tool to connect the audience. I leave you with a funny meme. Have a good day ;D

971997cd6a5a4156d7a2fa191fccc35fa872e8635b1b427d41d421d675a61626