Building Dreams

“So what are you planning on doing after graduation?”

Good question. Really good question. What the heck do I want to do with the rest of my life? What do I want to commit myself to doing for days, for months, for years, for the rest of my career? I have gotten this question more than once recently, and it’s something I’ve had to ask myself a lot. Unfortunately I still don’t have an answer. I can go on and on about how “there’s so much you can do with media these days,” or “I’m not quite sure yet, but I think it will be something along the lines of ____,” but honestly I have yet to come up with a truly definitive answer. A DREAM, if you will.

Indiana-Maddie
Indiana Maddie

I used to have a plan of what I wanted to be when I grew up. I remember the passion I used to have for all things adventurous, holding on to hopes that I could one day be an archeologist just like Indiana Jones. I know, archeology… I was an exciting kid. I held onto this dream for most of my childhood, but eventually realized that along with adventure and discovery I would have to deal with the boring paperwork and research side of things. Young, curious, dirt-loving Maddie was not quite into that aspect of things.

So eventually my dream shifted, and I grew fascinated with the art of filmmaking. I stared wide-eyed at the screen as heroes and monsters collided, the protaganist fighting ferociously to defeat their opponent and save mankind once again. I was drawn into the worlds of Narnia, of Middle Earth, of outer space. The journey that I took to these places inspired me to do great things, to live an adventurous life that I had always dreamed of. And so, I decided that I would be the next great film director.

This dream stuck with me. My love of movies continued to grow as I moved into high school, loving every new aspect I managed to learn about the process of filmmaking. I graduated and moved on to college, and for the most part I still dreamed. But this dream was beginning to cloud over, and I felt that I would never really achieve the greatness that I had always imagined. But I still adored movies.

Fast forward to today. I’m a senior Digital Media major in my second-to-last semester as a college student. I don’t have my life figured out… not even close. I’m still pursuing a film emphasis in my degree, but I have yet to really figure out what using it will entail. I have thought long and hard about where I want my life to go after school, and I’m not sure that Hollywood is still in the running. I still love film, but I’m not sure that being a big-time director is what I’m really cut out for.

Using media to find new experiences. Source: Facebook
Using media to find new experiences.
Source: Facebook

It’s time to start making some considerations of what’s really important to me. There are SO MANY things I can do. I think the overwhelming possibilities are what keep me from really pushing myself to find one specific thing. Not only that, but I have the freedom to go anywhere I want to. My dream job would give me the freedom to travel, as well as the opportunity to experience new things and places. If I could have these things, making a lot of money wouldn’t be all that important. Passion is so much more important than financial gain.

I have so much to figure out. Everything I do now could influence the way that the rest of my life happens. Or maybe it won’t, maybe I’ll end up spending a few years getting things wrong. But you know what? I’m not incredibly worried about the process. All I need to worry about it finding a dream and making that the end goal. Anything that happens on the way is just a part of the journey.

It’s time to build my dream.