Dream in Reality

Four years ago, I came here without knowing what I want to do for the rest of my life, I just wanted to see what America looks like; and now, I stayed in GC for the whole four year undergraduate education, and ready to find a job in America, or am I ready?

Dream job always sounds awesome, cool and wonderful at least for me. Being a Digital Media major makes my dream job to be a food show videographer, not those stupid ones on YouTube, I am talking about the ones where they plan their shots ahead, choose the food carefully, and also makes story plot behind this video. Usually some small studio production companies do these videos, and New York Times magazine has a food section make these kinds of videos too. Another job I am considering is to become photographer for National Geographic, especially their branch in China. In that way, I can shoot photos around China, and travel between China and America from time to time, I realized that I cannot stay in one place for more than three months because then I will feel lost, not even bored. I like shooting photos, and I don’t mind traveling around though airports suck all the time.

Chinese Food Videography Channel on YouKu

While keep all these dream job ideas in mind, I look at reality where it indicates that the chance for me to get my dream jobs after graduation or at least two to three years after graduation is probably less than 10 percent. I am not being really pessimistic or depressive, I am making this conclusion depending on the knowledge, experience and environment I have right not. Real life is always slaps on your face when you are having all those fancy and wonderful dreams in your head, this does not mean you cannot dream about future and have a dream job. Instead, the contrast between your dream and reality should become the motivation for you to keep move forward towards your dream. Complaining about your current life will never solve anything, no one else will never ever help you if you do not have the courage and confidence to make some changes in order to get your real dream.

Quotes from The Pursuit of Happyness
Quotes from The Pursuit of Happyness

My plan at least right now is to talk with school to see the potential for me to work in GC, I might not have too many choices for the positions, but ideally, I wish I can do some works for Norm and Pathway program because of my intercultural background. During the times I am working in GC, I will seek opportunities to do more DM-related free lancing works, and build network for future career through alumni or friends. Two to three years later, I should move on to a next level where I can do a video or photography related work such as production company videographer or photographer; if the company is more international-related, that will be great; then, after five to ten years working in that position, I will try to strive for my dream job finally. If I have enough budget to start my studio or production team at that time, I will definitely think about doing that; but if not, I still do not mind working for others.

Plan can change depending on reality too, I cannot say this plan will be the only one for the rest of my life. At least, I will adjust my plan towards my dream according to what will happen in reality. And I still trust God for what he wants me to do in the future, sometimes it is hard to understand what this really means until I really hear God’s calling one day. I would still say I am really worried and afraid of what is coming up after graduation, life in GC is definitely different from real life; there will be things I have to go through myself no matter the result is good or bad, real life does not care about your success and failure, it only gives you more unpredictable obstacles as you move on.  “Ernest Hemming once wrote, ‘The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.’ I believe the second part.”, like this quotes from movie Seven says, I do not know how bad the real world really looks like, but I do have the faith and confidence in myself to find a way to accomplish my goal and God’s goal which has been set up for me.

[youtube id=”Ylu0O0_rTMI” width=”” height=”” wmode=”transparent” showinfo=”1″ autohide=”0″ quality=”auto]