Dreams

Once you become a senior in college, everyone loves to ask you, “What are you going to do once you graduate?” It’s like the grown up version of asking someone want they want to be when they grow up, only now they expect a practical answer. I think everyone I’ve met answers this question with what they think will happen like, “I just hope I can find a good job and start paying off my student loans”, and for anyone who actually has student loans, that answer sounds like the dream. But, what if you could actually do anything you’ve actually wanted to do when starting down the path you’re on now? What would your dream job be?

Source: Aaron Phillips
Source: Aaron Phillips

I think as I’ve gotten further and further along in college, my dream job ideas have changed. When I first started down this journey of filmmaking I, like everyone else, aspired to be a movie director. Its the ultimate goal, right? But, as I have learned more and more about the power that video has to affect people’s lives, my whole outlook has changed. I don’t want to just create videos, I want to provoke thoughts and ideas into people’s heads. Help them see other perspectives, learn something about their world and the people who surround them. This has pushed my fascination into documentaries.

I’ve loved documentaries my whole life, the idea of sitting down and not just being entertained, but learning about something completely new every time I turn on Netflix. Particularly, I love historic documentaries, stories that help people to learn about history and other cultures.

In the grand scheme of movie making, there is nothing particularly glamorous about documentary film making, but I think that is another big draw I have to it. Everyone can relate with some kind of documentary. Lately I have been watching a lot of food documentaries which are also super fascinating. Who knew Sriracha was made in California, and what actually goes into it? Who would have ever thought to make a documentary about a chili sauce, but I love it.

I love that documentaries help us tell other people’s stories. I like to see them as the campfire tales of today.  Story plays such a huge role in shaping who we are, and seeing where other people come from, and what they value can help us learn a lot, and view people in a different light. There are so many things to be learned, and documentaries help play a role in doing that.

Source: Facebook
Source: Facebook

Another thing I love about documentaries is that it happens everyday, and no one really thinks about it. Every time you post something to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, you are documenting your own life. Social media has changed the way we are able to remember and relive the past and present. This is a way of documentation. I’m sure at some point and time you have sat around with your friends and reminisced about your old Facebook posts, no matter how good or bad they may be.

Source: Amazon.com
Source: Amazon.com

This is the beauty of documentaries, everyone can find a way to relate to them. So, after all of that, I still haven’t actually defined my dream job. With the outlet of YouTube becoming an actual means of employment, my dream would be to travel around the world and document people’s stories. Anyone, from all walks of life. Almost like a Humans of New York in a sense, but more then just a picture frozen in time. I want to show people that everyone is important and has a story to tell. I want people to see my videos and change how they see the people in the world around them. Everyone loves a good story, Jesus used them every time he spoke to relate to His audience. So, this is my dream job. It is already in the works, and I want to began soon, but it would be amazing to make this a full time job, traveling the world sharing people’s stories.