My dream job?

Ever since I was a teenager, I have had an infatuation with Apple and their products. I love the way they are designed and how they function. It is as if every single part is crafted to work with all of the other parts as efficiently as possible. This is why the iPhone has been able to keep up with or outperform other devices even though it has less power under the hood. Consider it a power to weight ratio, but with hardware and software. This could also be taken literally given how Apple continues to make their devices thinner and thinner. Anywho, my point is, ever since I have become infatuated with their products and craftsmanship, I have had a desire to work at apple. Maybe to one day be a head designer and work on the top secret projects. Very unlikely…but a kid can dream, right?

dream-job
Image from whatconsumesme.com

More and more though, I have heard from people that their corporate life is consuming. I have heard people say that if you work at apple you will have no life. If you want a wife and kids, apple is not the place to try and build a career. I know Apple is a very large company and I can see that, but I am sure there are many exceptions to this? If this is the case, I do not want to work there. I want to have a relationship with my wife and kids. I will always love their products and be infatuated with their design, but that type of work environment is one that I can live without.

So what would my dream job be like? Over this past summer I had a buddy of mine move out to San Francisco CA for an internship at a company called Weebly. Weebly is a drag and drop website builder designed with the first-time business owner in mind. I could not believe the description he was giving me of this organization and it’s culture. They have everything from monthly massages to a loaded snack and drink bar with all of the snacks you could ever want. They provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for you. They have superb working conditions and facilities. My friend told me that they didn’t have any scheduled hours. People had the freedom to come to work when they wanted and leave when they wanted. They even had pets around the office to help lighten the mood. This friend of mine has always been in love with facebook and their work culture, but after working at Weebly, he’s said that he actually likes it more. If you want to know more about Weebly’s perks, here is a link to their career page or look at the image bellow.

Image from weebly.com
Image from weebly.com

I don’t know about you, but that is definitely an environment that I would like to be in. Whether it is one that I can create on my own some day or one that I can join by working with a company that already has that. But more specifically, I have been able to narrow down my desired field (Which is bound to change). I want to work in some form of design agency. The reason for this is every couple of months I will be able to work on different projects and or multiple different projects at the same time. There will always be something new to design and improve. Over the summer I worked for an architecture firm and did everything in house for them. After a while everything got monotonous and boring. I was stuck within the confines of doing something one way or another. I did not have a whole lot of freedom for creativity. All in all it was not bad, but definitely not something that I want to do. I like doing overhauls of brands.

My dream job would be a Job where I have the ability to work on many different projects over a span of time with employee benefits close to that of Weebly or better. Maybe with the perks of that of Google? I mean, they tell you that you have to delegate work 20% of your work time to doing something creative and new. They even encourage failure. That sounds great to me!

Image from loveyouandthem.com
Image from loveyouandthem.com