Be Present

Picture this: Its 7:00 in the morning and your alarm goes off. You roll over and shut it off and then rub the sleep from your eyes. Then you stretch and in your half asleep, half conscious state you reach over to your nightstand to grab something. What are you grabbing? Your phone to check emails and social media? Or are you grabbing your Bible to start your day with God?

alarm-clock-390x285

For most people, including myself, we are grabbing our phones to check emails and social media. I mean, we could have missed something so important while we were sleeping. Why should we miss out any further? However, what we are missing out on is God and what He has to say to us. When I was doing some reading on this topic, Faith and Technology, I came across an article written by Rev. Justin Fung for The Washington Post. The article really caught my attention because I could relate to it so well. Rev. Fung discusses who is in control when we go throughout our day, specifically when we are beginning our day. In the digital world that we live in today, it is always tempting to be attached to technology in any shape or form. We have the daily choice to put God first in everything that we do. Technology isn’t a bad thing, but what we do with it can be bad in the eyes of God. The Bible says that we should love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, but with technology being so prevalent in our lives, what does that look like? In my opinion, I feel like it is all about being present and being aware of what is happening as you go through daily life. Instead of being glued to a screen, we should pay attention to our surroundings. For example, if you are talking to a friend face to face, you shouldn’t also be texting someone else because then you aren’t fully present in your conversation. Or, if you are out on a walk and you see something beautiful, maybe your first thought shouldn’t be to take a photo and post it to Instagram, but to thank God for the beautiful sight He placed before you.

Towards the end of the article, Rev. Fung makes and interesting statement about control. He says, “In the beginning, in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were asked by a serpent, “Who is in control?” They answered, “Us,” and ate the forbidden fruit. Three thousand years ago, in Babylon, three young men named Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were asked by a king on pain of death, “Who is in control?” They answered, “God,” and were thrown into the blazing furnace — in case you don’t know the end of the story, God came through for them.” God wants us to put Him first in everything that we do in order to show Him glory. When we are engrossed with our daily lives and the ever present influence of technology, we tend to forget about God. I’m not saying that in order to glorify God each day we should be posting Bible verses as our Facebook statuses and only post selfies of Jesus on Instagram. What I am saying is that we should take a step back from technology for maybe an hour or so a day and be present with God and the things He has blessed upon us. Whether it is taking some time in the mornings to read a passage or two and reflect or taking time to journal and think about God’s blessings to your life, it doesn’t matter, just be present with God.

Be-Present