Always On: Reality VS Digital Interaction

Written and Media by Kelsey Neier.

I think technology is very useful and innovative. I enjoy how easy it makes my life. I can set an alarm on my phone to wake me up in the morning and use it to check the weather for the day. I can find out what my friends and family members are up to on Facebook. I can search what’s trending in our world on Twitter. I can see beautiful buildings in another country on Instagram. Technology helps me connect to the world and the ones I care about…..or does it?

Follow me. Photo by Kelsey Neier.
Photo by Kelsey Neier.

Have we ever stopped to think about how much time we really spend with our families? I am not talking about being in the same restaurant or park with them. I am talking about looking them in the eye and have an actual conversation, with no phones in sight. When is the last time that has happened?

Technology is taking over not only my life, but my parents’ lives as well. For example, yesterday my Dad asked me a question…through a text. He was down the hall from me and could have easily came into my room and talked to me, but instead we texted each other. There’s no need for that. We all are becoming too zoned into our phones and playstations that we aren’t communicating!

I think we need to tweak our mindset a bit and think about how technology could be destroying communication with the people we care about. We need to analyze their faces and body language, not a period or exclamation point at the end of a text.

I like the article “How Facebook Hurts Us” by Amy Simpson because we see how creative and wonderful our friends’ lives are that it can actually make us feel depressed about our own lives. We might start to think we are not as successful as them and become angry or upset when we feel we do not measure up to them. What we tend to forget is that what we see on social media is only the highlights of someone’s life. We want other people to see how great we’re doing when in reality we are all struggling in some area of our lives.

Photo by Kelsey Neier.
Photo by Kelsey Neier.

The article “Take Control of Your Technology Before It Takes Control of You” by Daniel Burrus makes some great points about how our individual reality (church, work, and home life) have now all been blended together because of technology. When we go on vacation we are not leaving media behind because we are sharing every bit of it on the internet.

Another good article called “How Technology Has Taken Over Our Lives” by Jessica Picard tell us that “We are shells of who we may have been. Technology is a beautiful thing, but if we cannot learn how to use it responsibly and in moderation, our future may not be as bright as the screens we are holding.” Do you remember the activities you loved to do like color, draw and read before technology took ahold of your life?

In conclusion, take time to unplug from every device you own, if only for one day. Put your phone, computer, tablet, smartwatch, ipods and gaming systems AWAY. We need to communicate with the people we care about in person. I love my family more than anything in the world, and I do not give them enough attention as I should. It is time to unplug and spend time with your friends and family because they will not be around forever.