Dreaming of that Perfect Job and Coming Up Short

me & the hubsI’ve been struggling with what to do with my life after graduating college. Where I’ll be is still very up in the air because my husband is trying to decide between going to Seattle Pacific University or Asbury Theological Seminary in Kentucky. Unlike many of my peers, I don’t get to pick a job anywhere I please, I have to find one around where Cole will likely go to school. That may seem like a bit of a downside, but I’m actually alright with that. I won’t have to worry about trying to do my first few years out of college alone which is one of the biggest blessings I could ever ask for. But also unlike my peers, I don’t have the option of returning home until I figure things out. I either have to get a job or fake my death so I’ll have one less thing to pay for (loans).

Since I’ve been having a hard time figuring out what to do or even where to work I decided to take some of those stupid quizzes that are supposed to tell you what to do with your life. I remember taking those all the time during middle and high school. Career Aptitude tests, they call them, as if answering questions about yourself to the best of your ability even when you couldn’t care less about many of the questions and pick the least awful answer so you can just finish the freaking test and move on with you life, will actually tell you what you’d be great at doing. Over the years I believe I typically got something to do with art or a field in communications. I was ALWAYS in art classes all throughout school and Lord knows I love to talk so that makes a bit of sense I suppose.

When I was in high school I thought I was going to be an artist. That’s right, just an artist who happened to make enough money to survive and still do all the fun things I wanted to do. Boy was I wrong and so so naive. While many people obviously make it as an artist and don’t have to take a second job to pay the bills, I don’t see myself as being good enough to do that in the least bit. I can’t even manage to make creative work for Independent Studio right now and making art used to be the easiest thing for me.

Anyways, back to those quizzes I decided to take. The first one I managed to take and see my results on (some of them wanted my email and I was like “heck no”) told me to be a fashion designer or: an art therapist, correspondent, image consultant, director, singer *pst*, hotel connoisseur, or a travel writer. Yeah that seems like a lot of help. I understand how this quiz could think I should be a fashion designer or an art therapist because those are both things I once considered being but I never really learned how to use a sewing machine and I couldn’t stand having to take more schooling to be a therapist. Therefore, both those options are out of the question at this point.

quiz results

The second quiz I took had a lot less questions and it inevitably told me I should be a lawyer. I think it had something to do with my combined interest in helping people and liking to argue in order to prove a point. So while that kind of makes sense, I couldn’t ever be a lawyer. A) I don’t want to do go to school for another 4+ years just to potentially fail the BAR and not even become a lawyer, B) While I like arguing with people I most certainly do not like standing up in front of a bunch of people I don’t know and doing so, and C) I literally couldn’t care less about being a lawyer.

Finally, the third quiz I took said I should be a writer. I found that result a little interesting. I don’t necessarily enjoy writing papers but it does feel quite nice to look back on a paper and see how well I did on it. I like that feeling of accomplishment. However, being a writer seems even scarier to me than being a designer. While design has its own set of terrors, at least most people won’t even know I personally made something unless I happen to get “famous” which is unlikely. But if you’re a writer, people will know you wrote something and there won’t be an escape from their grasp, unless you use a fake name and never publish a book with your face in it.

Create Your Dream JobAll things being said, I still don’t know quite what I want to do with my life. I know that I want to be a graphic designer in some field or another, but I’m not sure which one yet. I want to work at a place where I can have my own little area, but also see other people around me working on daily tasks. It helps me to stay on track when other people are present. I want to have flexible hours and for my boss to realize creatives can’t just be creative all of a sudden, it takes time. I want to work in a place that looks welcoming and actually delivers on those feelings. Wherever I work needs to have a communal area where people can hangout and take a break. I couldn’t stand working in a boring, beige office from 9-5 just to go home and hate my life. Maybe I’ll end up working at company that deals with fashion in some sense so I can have that connection back to being a fashion designer like I thought I would be one day.

I’m not really sure where I’ll end up, but there’s beauty in the unknown and I’m about to embrace the crap out of that.