How Hard Can It Be?

I found the chapter in our book about becoming a manager from being a geek to be a very interesting and relatable chapter.  The chapter basically explains that almost all of the time geeks are promoted to manager for the wrong reasons.  These reasons include because they did good on a project, or volunteered for a vacant position among other things.  This, as I’m sure you can already imagine, doesn’t always work out the best, and many times it can be avoided with a little more effort on the bosses part to either see if the person is qualified for the position or help by having the person take some training for their new job.  According to the book, most of the time the person is just thrown into the position without any training and have no clue how to do their new job.  I do not think this is as much the case anymore because, if for no other reason, the company will lose money because the person has no idea how to do their job.  I can relate to this because in Boy Scouts we are supposed to change the troop youth leadership between six (6) and twelve (12) months and many times the troop would struggle for a month or two as the new leaders adjusted to their positions and responsibilities.  I had the same trouble when I took a leadership position in the troop and along with the adult leaders developed some training that could be done with the whole troop so that the adjustment period would be cut down and help the troop progress into the future better.  One of the last things I did in my position was to take all the files I used and turned them over to the troop records keeper so that future people in my position would have access to them and not have remake what someone else had done but not passed along.  This helped improve the troop a lot, and I noticed a big difference in the next election in the amount of time it took the new troop youth leaders to get accustomed to their positions and how quickly the troop was making progress.  I agree with the book in the fact that new managers are not given the support needed when first starting their job, they might have the training, but just because someone is trained doesn’t mean that they have everything they need to start managing.  Many times it helps to train the manager that is leaving if possible or have someone around who is a manager and can help them in situations that they don’t have the management experience yet to properly handle or solve the situation.  The best thing I can relate that to back to Boy Scouts, many times the adult leaders would not support the new youth leadership quite long enough for them to learn the skills they needed, and had the sink or swim mentality, which isn’t a bad thing, but it didn’t work the best for that situation because there were a lot of things that the youth needed to be able to handle and did have the experience needed to take care of the situation.

I would say my biggest take away from this chapter is to make sure that if I am the one getting hired for a manager or hiring for manager position is to make sure myself or the person I’m hiring is prepared for the position and ready to take on the responsibilities that are required for the job.  If myself or the person I am hiring does not have the training needed to find the training needed and attend or encourage the person to attend the training so the job transition can be easier and smooth for everyone involved.