How do I get a client to trust me again?

No matter what things will go bad and you will lose a clients trust at some point and it is important to regain that clients trust.  There was some research done recently showing that it is cheaper to keep a client than to get a new client.  Many times the client will become extremely angry at you and more than likely they are willing to work with you, they are just angry about something that doesn’t have anything to do with you; it just happened that whatever the situation your are involved in was “the straw that broke the camel’s back”.  The best thing you can do is assure the customer that you will look into their problem and not be surprised by their attitude, and to not take it personally.  When clients have a problem they want several things, and one of the most important of these is respectful treatment.  Clients want to be treated with respect and even though they might be yelling and screaming at you, you will want to keep and even tone and calm demeanor so that the situation will not be escalated into more of an issue than it already is.  The next two major things that clients want are prompt responses and explanations that they can understand if you fail on either or both of these things this will make the client feel like they are not important because you are not responding to them or don’t want to take the time to explain what is wrong with the situation.  There are a few others in the list, but I think that these are by far the most important, and surprisingly the very last thing on the list is technical work.  This is because though the technical work is important, it doesn’t help the customer feel appreciated or isn’t as important to the customer as feeling like they are valued.

The book also goes through the steps of solving a problem, and there is actually quite a lot to be done before the problem itself can be solved.  I have had similar experiences in Scouts when I had to deal with conflict with younger Scouts in the troop.  It would often start over something really silly and I would have to get to the bottom of the problem, and many times the problem had nothing to do with the other person but with something going on at home, or at school, or with another person entirely.  Once a problem started I had to talk to each of the Scouts and find out what their side of the story was, and almost all the time I found out that one of them was angry about something and would blame it on the other party, but after a few questions I would always find out that it was something minor the other person did, sometimes just trying to be funny or have some fun, and because they were in a bad mood already it would turn into a big problem.  Many times I was able to talk to the person that was angry and get the two parties involved to put aside what had happened and talk to the angry party and help them to solve what was going on outside of Scouts, or at least leave their problems at the door and not let what was affecting them bother them while they were at Scouts.

I found this chapter to be quite helpful in not only dealing with clients, but any interaction with people that are having problems, or with personal problems.  After learning about something similar to this in Scouts I was able to avoid a lot of problems with other people because I realized I didn’t have a problem with that person, but with something else going on in my life.