Presenting To …

As you enter into Greenville College as a freshman you are required to partake in a speech communications class. As a college freshman it is easy to accomplish tasks that are group oriented but the game changes when you have to give a speech by yourself for twenty minutes in front of everyone. Our book states that a lot of people consider public speaking to be one of life’s most stressful events. According to Bing, An estimated 5.3 million Americans suffer from a social phobia, with 74% suffering from speech anxiety. I believe that college freshman experience this exact trend. I remember when I was in speech 101 my freshman year and I was tasked this twenty minute speech. I felt anxious and was nervous throughout the entire speech. As you progress through Greenville’s curriculum students tend to develop more confidence because they apply certain presentation techniques. Techniques that have worked well for me throughout my four years have been rehearsing my presentation content, standing with comfortable posture, and preparing note cards with cue words to navigate my presentation.

Additionally, our text explains five steps that help steward presentation quality. The first step being clarifying a goal. By the presenter clarifies their goal they can then derive the purpose for their presentation. Clarifying a goal may help you decide whether to influence decisions, manage expectations, share status, or leverage opportunities with your potential audience. Identifying this goal can give the presenter a foundation to build off of. The next step is to get into their heads. This step encourages the presenter to share pertinent information with the audience. Understanding what your audience needs to know will help keep things concise. Giving the audience minimum information ensures that your main points will be received easily. The third step recommended by our authors is to craft a transformation. This is done by facilitating a design into your presentation that accomplishes two goals. The audience must me able to comprehend and retain your information and the experience should call the audience to action. This can be done by knowing how your potential audience like to be communicated with. Calling your audience to action can be impacted by using more verbs during the presentation than nouns. Creating an emotional response from the audience is accomplished by delivering facts, insights, and stories. A story is one of the most effective ways to generate a response because it make your topic relatable to your audience. The forth step is to present, connect, and resonate. When the presenter is in front of the audience they must do their best to connect with the audience. This is best done through a person resonance. It helps place the audience in your shoes and make them feel what you feel. The Final step is to conclude with a call to action. This call to action should verbally accomplish your presentation goal.

In conclusion, I think that when giving a presentation in boils down to two thing. Knowing your audience and having a specific end goal in sight. Knowing your audience allows you to tailor your presentation to influence emotions and inspire change. Having a specific goal in sight will always give you something to work toward. By applying both of these factors your presentation quality will be positively impacted. Any speech nervousness will be replaced with confidence because you know your purpose and you know your information equally.