Why must we be out with the old? Well…

Happy Friday my followers and fellow bloggers. Please take the time to appreciate the two video below. After a chuckle or two, or three, synthesize why these two videos correlate and list out a few takeaways. ENJOY!

Takeaways? Okay, moving on…

Whether we, the people, want to accept it or not, technology is changing and advancing at astronomical rates. Think about it, what iPhone existed back in May of 2007? Trick question, there was not an iPhone on the market until June 29, 2007. 10 years ago, from today, there was not even an iPhone available for sale in the marketplace. 10 years is equal to a decade, which is relatively not a lot of time. In theory, I would think the first iPhone would still be functional and effective in today’s world. Turns out the original iPhone would struggle in today’s working world. Why? Well, ask Deloy, Peter, JJ, Johnny, or someone else in IT about the big words and events I can’t comprehend – RAM, Apple and Google’s fallout, and mAH battery. As of April 7, 2017, we have seen a total of fourteen different models of iPhones ranging from the original to the most recent 7+. Before we know it, it Apple keeps up its pace, we will have an iPhone 8 before the of 2018.

I am in limbo about the advance in technology in recent years. It seems like when I finally get something figured out, there’s a newer and better technology available. Is there LifeAlert for young millennials who can’t keep up? If so, let me know. I have a “tradition method” for keeping an agenda and taking notes – pen and paper. I have an abnormal appreciation for the power of pen and paper.

Trying to balance my stubborn nature when it comes to continually advancing technology with wanting to adopt new techonologies earlier brought me to the following graph –

The 5 customer segments of technology adjustments:

Definitions of each from link above – 

Innovators are willing to take risks, youngest in age, have the highest social class, have great financial lucidity, very social and have the closest contact with specific sources and interactions with other innovators.

Early Adopters are typically younger in age, have higher social status, have more financial lucidity, advanced education, and are more socially forward than late adopters.

Early Majority tend to be slower in the adoption process, have above average social status, contact with early adopters, and seldom are more socially forward than late adopter.

Late Majority are the individuals who approach an innovation with skepticism and after the majority of the society has adopted the innovation. The late majority have below-average social status, very little financial lucidity, in contact with the early and last majority, very little opinion leadership.

Laggards are focused on tradition. These individuals are the last to adopt an innovation, show little to no opinion leadership, and have the lowest social status.

There are many benefits to new technology and innovations. Why would there be any hesitation to adopt? In my case, I have trouble adjusting to new innovations – I am slower in the adoption process. I need to use the power of a pen and paper to jot down ideas and keep track of my daily schedule. I have a terrible tendency of forgetting things when I try to use my phone, iPad, or MacBook as a planner. Though I may never get past using a “traditional method” of keeping an agenda, I do have the best intentions of keeping of with continuous advances in accounting software. I will probably be out of an accounting job if I don’t adopt early.

From the text –

Why Most Efforts to Drive Adoption of New Technology Fail:

• It’s too late
  • IT people are too focused on the technology
  • IT ignores the importance of the experience

FOCUS ON YOUR EFFORTS ON CREATING A GOOD FIRST EXPERIENCE FOR NEW USERS OF YOUR TECHNOLOGY – THEY (NORMAL PEOPLE) WILL BE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO EMBRACE IT.

How Geek Values Conflict With Creating Good Experiences:

• Provide flawless technology
  • Meet every deadline
  • Come in under budget
  • Include every feature users were expecting

Daniel Newman wrote in an article, “People like routine it minimized stress, keeps us moving forward and provides a sense of comfort.” GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE. Bare with IT’s smart a** remarks to your muggle like questions and get with it. IT people solve problems, it’s just what they do. Today’s marketplace is fast-paced, continuously changing, and demands quick adoption.

Tune in next week for another blog presented by yours truly, C-Dizzle from Californizzle.