Find Your Dream Job, Not Your Realistic Job

As a college student, the question that I get asked more than any other is, “What do you want to do when you graduate?” It is the ultimate small talk prompt when talking to a student. And my go-to response every time is, “I have absolutely no clue.” And to be honest, I’m okay with not knowing what my future will hold. But, if I could hand-pick one job right now, I think it would be incredible to be in charge of running social media accounts for the Denver Broncos.

I was born in raised in Denver, Colorado, so having the chance to work for one of my favorite sports franchises, while in my favorite place, is the absolute best case scenario. If I am mapping out how I spend my time each day, social media and sports easily are at the top. It is two of my very favorite things mixed into one job. But, it is called a dream job for a reason, so it might not be realistic to expect an incredible job like this right out of college, or even anytime soon. But with that being said, I don’t care that it may not be realistic. I am still going to do everything in my power to get that job or a something similar to that.

But, I have come across a major problem with telling others about my dream job. In one of my classes last year, on the first day, we had to go around the room and introduce ourselves and tell the class about our dream jobs. This was exciting for everyone because you got to see people light up and get pumped-up about what they wanted to do in their future. Some students shot very high with their dreams, and some shot very low. There was a clear difference in the demeanor of both types of student. Some had their hopes crushed at an early age. Someone told these kids to aim low so you don’t get let down, or having big dreams is pointless because they’re unachievable anyways. But the students who had big dreams were confident in their words, excited about future opportunities.

I have told people about my dreams, and run across the same kind of criticism. I have been told so many times that “You won’t ever make any money doing that.” or, “Maybe you should shoot for something more realistic.” or even, “That’s why they call it a ‘dream job’ not ‘realistic job’ “. This relates to last weeks’ blog a whole lot. To some, these comments demoralize them and make them aim lower. But I am motivated by comments like these. It just makes me want to go prove them wrong. I am going to keep grinding and working at my craft so that someday I will be sitting at my desk at my dream job saying “I told ya so.” So whenever I tell someone my hopes and dreams, I make the conscious effort to be confident about them. I believe that even if I don’t find this exact job, I will find one that makes me just as happy.

And really, that’s what it all comes down to. I’m not striving for a normal 9-5 job, where you sit in your cubicle and do your work, just to collect a paycheck. Because I know that I have so much more to give than that. I am striving for the job where I am happy. That is the only criteria that I am looking for. I don’t care about the paycheck, I’m just there to do what I love. Of course, I wouldn’t mind if that job was well-paying, but that’s not what I’m there for.

Just like John Locke and the whole cast of “Lost“, we have to stop letting people tell us what we can’t do because they only know half the story. They don’t know what we’re capable of achieving. They just saw how hard it was for them, so they like to tell others how hard the world is. So I urge you to dream big. Stop always worrying about if it’s realistic or not and go get that job you’ve always been dreaming of because I will be doing the very same.