A Technological God

Technology is literally all around us—everywhere. Nowadays we can’t escape from it even if we’re Amish! Technology has become a necessity we can’t live without it, but if that’s our answer, we need to reevaluate our priorities especially as Christians. Technology is a form of art and creating art is an activity humans use by using our imagination to express feelings, emotions, and power. It allows the ability for viewers to connect.

When I think of technology, I smile because I’m very much so a tech-savvy person. Technology has allowed me to produce art as an artist and graphic designer. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve collected more technology and I always ask myself: “Will this be used for personal satisfaction and gains?  Will this be enough or will I always want more?” I follow that question up with the statement: “I pray I can bring honor and glory to God through using this technology in my reach. For it is a blessing.”

Who are we to be in authority of what we have when it was never ours, to begin with? I believe God is a creator, a designer himself. He wants us to use technology, but not depend on it solely for our own pleasures and to exclude everything else. We shouldn’t always hide behind a screen or search for immediate answers all the time.Inside Worshipping God with Technology by Denis Alexander it says:“Deepest human needs are never solved by technology alone.” We have to allow ourselves to live in reality and go through experiences outside what technology offers.

Reach eBook quotes: “The Lord chose you to exist in this generation, at this very point in history, with access to social media, for His Glory.” God has a perfect plan for everything and he’s using us—I know without a doubt. It’s when we welcome the Holy Spirit into our process of creating and experiences that God works in us individually and shows us opportunities to reach people.

“How can we balance getting what we want with getting the sometimes unpleasant, but still critical, things we need? This is an especially important question when we consider that technology makes it easy for us to get the things we want and avoid the uncomfortable experiences we need.” With access from God comes great responsibility and always being on guard. We need to use technology as a tool, but be ready without the technology to do the work of the Lord. Psalm 90:17 says: “May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us.”

It’s fair to say, sadly, there are people of this world that use technology for evil, but as Christians, we should aim to do our best to use it responsibly. I feel as though boundaries should be set to help with temptations and to help avoid technology becoming idols in our lives. Leviticus 19:4 says: “Do not turn to idols or make metal gods for yourselves. I am the Lord your God.”  Technology can enable communication, community, and discipleship. It’s all about how we use it. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says: “. . . do it all for the glory of God.”

As a Designer, I design the life I love. I long to have a presence in a world that seems absent. Technology allows for many opportunities to engage and disciple. Technology brings together people of common interests. Max Frisch once said: “Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn’t have to experience it.” I believe that it’s only with God that we can truly experience Him through technology.