Is Productivity Still A Thing?

“Not enough time in the day.” “I don’t have time for this.” “There’s just too much to do!” Do these phrases sound familiar? The topic of time management and productivity is a tough one. You’d think that with all the technology we have today, getting things done would be easy. Unfortunately, that’s not the case for many of us. We struggle to stay on task and get things completed, myself included.
So what can we do about it? Is it even fixable? Yes, but it will require some work on your part. There are several habits we can form that will make productivity a breeze. And to make it even easier, there are several very useful apps available to help.

Since there are so many ways for someone to improve their productivity, I’ll just focus on a couple good habits. The first one may seem simple but it’s one many people neglect; keep a calendar. One of the biggest lies I tell myself is “I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.” Rarely do I ever remember what ever it is I thought I could remember. This is where having a calendar comes into play. I’ve tried keeping a planner and writing things down on paper, but I always either forget to bring the planner or I forget to check it. However, I always have my phone on me so I use the reminder and calendar apps like nobody’s business. Another app that I discovered is called “Timeful“. What it does is learns your schedule and habits then through different algorithms it gives you tips on how to improve your productivity. So if you use a calendar app this would be a super simple way to do the same thing but get more out of it.

When I finally remember what it is I’m supposed to be doing, thanks to my handy apps, I find myself procrastinating. There are so many other things I need to do that I get overwhelmed and just put everything off. As much as I’d like for that to be helpful, it isn’t. Putting everything off because there’s a lot of it to do doesn’t get me anywhere. So, what I’ve been trying to teach myself to do is to keep a to-do list and prioritize it. There are some things that can wait until later, or another day, and there are some things that have to be done immediately. Those things come first on my list and I move everything else that isn’t pressing, to the bottom of the list. That helps me see break down a huge, overwhelming list into smaller, more manageable chunks. Do I do this all the time? Not hardly. But when I do, it helps a lot. One app I discovered recently that will help with this is called “Todoist“. It’s an organizational app that tracks your schedule and reminds you of what needs to be done and when. It’s completely free too!

Nothing ruins productivity more than forgetting a password and having to reset it. I’m guilty of this too many times. I’ve tried writing them down and then I forget where I put that list. Then if I remember where I stuck the list, I forget to update it as my passwords change. With so many accounts, remembering them all is almost impossible. Thankfully, there are several apps and websites available to keep those in one place, and they’re secure too. The app that I’ve used int he past is called “Keeper“. It keeps all your passwords locked in the virtual “vault” and when you are about to log in to something it will prompt you to use the password stored or not. Like with most free apps, there’s always an option to upgrade or get better options if you pay but the free option, though limited, will still keep your passwords.

Even though it may seem daunting at times, being and staying productive can be done. It does take some work to get out of old habits but once you retrain your brain, it becomes second nature. So use the new habits and apps to go with them and be productive!

5.00 avg. rating (98% score) - 1 vote