Online Dating: The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Technology has completely changed our lives in so many ways. Growing up in this generation where technology is at the forefront of our daily lives, it’s crazy to think how much it has changed how we interact with others. I can start a conversation with anyone no matter where they are in the world. It has changed the way we think about friendships and especially romantic relationships. For some that don’t have many situations in their lives where they have the opportunity to meet new people, it has created an avenue for them to be introduced to that. With sites like eHarmony, Match, Tinder, even Facebook, and so many others, we are seeing relationships in a completely different way. But are these sites helping relationships, or are they hurting them?

I may have a different perspective on online dating because my mom met my step-dad on eHarmony. They have an incredible relationship and are perfect for each other, so I have seen first-hand that it works. My cousin met his wife on Tinder and they are very happy together. I am by no means implying that eHarmony and Tinder are on the same playing field, but in some cases, they accomplish the same thing. eHarmony is a pretty cool site if you ask me. I know many couples that met through a dating site and it is cool to see how happy they are. The complex algorithms that these sites use seem to actually work. My mom used to talk a bunch of smack about these sites until she experienced it herself. Now she is a huge advocate for sites like eHarmony.

But for as many great relationships that have come from online dating, there are also problems that come with it. I could go on and on about Tinder and how it is destroying our view of a healthy relationship. Of course, there are those rare cases like my cousin who met his wife on Tinder. But, for the most part, Tinder is not meant for the purpose of meeting your soulmate. Tinder is designed for hook-ups, not for finding a spouse. While there are cases of both, the shallowness of Tinder is appalling. Judging someone by a quick glance or a small bio about how awesome they are is just no right. And on the other side of things, trying to sell yourself in 5 pictures and a few sentences is simply not natural. Let’s not even talk about how many crimes have come from Tinder meet-ups. There’s serious stalker potential from an app that tells you where everyone lives. I am all for finding a significant other online, but with Tinder, that is rarely the case. And it is a black hole of a time-waster. You can spend hours on this app swiping away and judging people. But, I won’t pretend like I’m perfect, I have done my fair share of swiping back in the day. But I realized that no good can come from such a shallow idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc6BtyfCoO0

Obviously, there are pros and cons with how technology has completely changed dating. Personally, I am a supporter of the old-fashioned method of going to meet people in real life. But, I also see the merit in dating sites like eHarmony or Match. It all just depends on the intentions behind it. If you are online dating to find your soulmate, I’m all for it. But, I don’t think it is healthy to use this technology for the wrong reasons. It has hurt us in the way that it is so easy to talk to someone from behind a screen. And that has made it so talking in person, like normal human beings, is super awkward. But if your motives are in the right place, I’m all for online dating and the benefits that it comes with.