Productivity Over Procrastination

Being productive is one of my favorite things to be. I am a very driven person who finds great enjoyment in self-growth. Additionally, I am often enthralled by a good challenge and anything that can help me advance my love of learning. That being said, getting stuff done often comes easier to me than most college students or workers.

Closeup image of notepad with pen.

While there are many great tools out there to help individuals better accomplish large goals, my go-to organizer is often a simple pen and piece of paper. Sketching ideas out or putting my thoughts into a written format often brings more clarity and focus to an issue than ever before. Not only does the process of writing things down help me feel more accomplished, but the satisfaction of crossing things off helps me relish success as well. It is a proven fact that completing checklists releases dopamine and that is why I am a firm believer in tools such as monthly planners and yearly calendars.

For certain tasks in life, beyond assignments and work commitments, I need a little extra encouragement and accountability. Exercise wearables such as Fitbits aid those who need more of a loving push. While my own exercise life has been lacking as of late, I found that even the act of putting on an electronic bracelet motivates me to be more proactive. The vibration that occurs when I reach a goal is similar to the sensation of checking things off. Fitbits and lists alike help me celebrate in small accomplishments, often pushing me in the right direction toward larger tasks and desires.

Other tools which bring me closer to feeling more accomplished are productivity apps such as Calm and Headspace. Recently, I have been using these two applications to take time and pause in my daily life. This helps bring both clarity and energy needed to face the tasks ahead. Each of the apps include a certain number of sessions offered to help develop skills such as focus and inner peace. If you have trouble developing one of these soft skills, I would highly recommend downloading both of these apps for free!

There are applications that provide inspiration such as Pinterest and apps that eliminate distractions by blocking selected sites. All of these things can be guideposts which help one navigate one’s daily responsibilities, but when it comes down to getting stuff done it is ultimately up to the individual’s mentality and work ethic. Without some level of self-dedication, an individual’s task will always remain unfinished. The longer one waits the more daunting and stressful it becomes. Sometimes getting stuff done can be as simple as having the drive and discipline to do whatever needs to be accomplished. Ecclesiastes 11:4 puts it like this, “Farmers who wait for perfect weather never plant. If they watch every cloud, they never harvest.” In this way being productive often involves the #failfoward attitude that was discussed in previous articles.

Whether you are ambitious or not, there are small things you can do to make your daily life a little bit easier. The challenges that arise can be made smaller with a good amount of planning and prioritizing. Tackling tasks is certainly no cakewalk, but there are apps and utilities out there to be used. Take advantage of these things while you can, because the sooner you get things done the better you will feel. It will give you the rush you are looking for, and you will be proud of yourself once it is over. So go out there and replace procrastination with productivity!