Geek to Manager

15 tips for new mangers. Most new managers learn the basic do’s and don’ts quickly—like resisting the urge to brag about how experienced you are and encouraging your employees to suggest new ideas. New managers can be so focused on listening, they forget to observe what people say through their actions. Say you’ve given someone a challenging assignment and ask how it’s going. They respond quickly with, “fine,” but you also notice they’re wiping their forehead and rapidly tapping one foot up and down. You sense anxiousness. Don’t blow-off your observation; follow up. Do they have any questions? Is it going how they expected? Can you provide any additional support? Knowing what’s actually going on will make it easier for you to help them be successful.

There’s a big difference between assigning someone a task and then monitoring there progress, and micromanaging him every step of the way. A good boss shows people it’s OK to come to you if they need help and also gives them room to do the job the way they want to do it: They don’t hover. People who feel micromanaged tend to do one of two things. They quit (or transfer) so they can work for a manager who gives them room to do their jobs—or they check their brains at the door because they know you’re going to over-control how they do things. To break free of this bad habit, allot more time to assigning a project. Instead of simply handing it off, take the time to share your vision and goals, allow time for questions, and schedule regular check-ins. If you’ve provided a clear path forward with scheduled checkpoints, it’ll be less stressful for you to trust your employee.

Too many new managers are so focused on doing a good job building strong relationships with their team, they forget to spend any time communicating with their own boss. Don’t assume that because they know how to manage your role, they automatically know how to manage you. Teach them about your strengths and weaknesses, what motivates and de-motivates you, and your preferred communication strategies. 

Some question that book asked about knowing what a manger does that I would like to answer are. Am I doing work that I should be delegating?  And what role I am playing in the difficulties of the team? Though I have no real world managing experience. I have been a leader of a club at my other college. in that college I was a vice-president which meant I had to delegate a lot of the work that was required because I had a full class schedule and duties for the club.

At first delegation of duties was hard because I knew that I could get the work done but I wasn’t fully trusting my other cabinet members. For example we had a fundraiser coming up and I delegated work to a particular member and the work never got done I told my sponsor about the problem and she said figure it out that’s what you would have to do in the real world. So, I went and communicated with the person and asked them to what happened and they responded with the reason. To which I gave them an ultimatum which was either I gave the project to someone else or they would have to complete it by that night. To my surprise the project was completed early that night. So, the morale of the story is if you have a worker that is getting behind and you are the manger you should go to the worker and ask them about the projects they are working on and try to stay on the ball especially if it your reputation  on the line.