Technical People Need Different Motivation

In order for any team to produce great work and want to complete task, you need to find ways to motivate them. One of the biggest issues in motivation is thinking that everyone gets motivated by the same things. This is not true at all and is different for each person. There are many ways that people at work can be motivated, but most of the basic ones are more for people who are out-going the sales type of people. When you find out what techniques works with your group, they will be set for success.

The time that I have been in a leadership position it was very hard for our team to get anything done. I was leading my high school cross country team through our warm-ups and runs. No matter if I was loose with the rules or strict, they never seemed to want to following anything I told them to do. The reason many of my teammates didn’t do the work was because they had no real incentive to accomplish it. Their main reason for being on the team was not for the sport, like my friends and I, but was more for social interactions with their peers. When you have people, who are not motivated it can sometimes cause others that come in to the team not want to be motivated either. Now that I am in college, I have had a completely different experience with the cross-country team, mainly everyone that is here is because they want to be and they want to get better.

The book an article from yourstory talk about certain things that can motivate technical people. Geeks need to have a challenge to achieve in their work. They like to have something that they can find an answer to, but is not to easy for them to accomplish. Technical people work better with people who do the same type of work as them. A geek is less likely to want to get a project done for the boss, because it is required of them, then they are to get something done to help out their peers.

Geeks can be motivated to do lots of things, but if you put one person on too many projects, they will have struggle to complete their task. This is why you need to give each person a specific task, while also having a small organized group. The fewer people you have working a project the more likely you are to finish it. This is mainly caused by the bystander effect. Which is when there are more people, they are less likely to do something because they think that someone else will do it. As a leader it is your responsibility to make sure that you inspire and stimulate your group which determines the groups success. One good way to keep your team high spirited and not get bored of working on the same thing each week is Google’s 20%. “Basically, any engineer at Google is able to spend 1 day a week working on a problem of their choice.” This tool allows for people on the team to have a break from what the company needs to get done and lets them try something that they come up with. This brings new creative flowing energy to the brain letting them to think more freely when they come back the next day.

When you realize that you cannot control how other people are motivated, it releases you to other things you can do with your team. I found that the more people want to be somewhere the better off time will be spent and things completed.