Motivation

I have had a lot of different coaches and managers in my life. My parents, sports coaches, teachers, job managers, bosses, and more all have had an effect on me. Over the past twenty one years I have learned what seems to get me motivated and what does not. With all these different influences on me, it has helped me narrow down what exactly it is that will get me to do my best work.

I will never forget on my second little league baseball team, the Titans, how that coach affected me. He was not the best coach I have had but not the worst either. I vividly remember asking coach time and time again to play first base and he would always so no. After I pestered him enough he gave me a chance to play one inning at first, in the last inning of the season. Before I walked out to the field he stopped me and said: “this is your only shot, don’t mess up!” This was some of the worst motivation I have ever heard. I went out there and made a cool play to win the game, but i will never forget how what he said to me made me feel. In a sport of baseball, one will fail constantly. It is important to have confidence and not think about messing up. He put the thought of messing up in my head, instead of giving me confidence and motivating me. This is when I learned I did not like this type of motivation. I do not want to feel like my job, or position depends on me coming through.

Here is a video that really gets me motivated:

Later in the years I had many other coaches and leaders in my life. One of my mentors I really appreciate is my hitting instructor, Don Rogers. I would go see Don once a week for years. He would help me with my swing and always encourage me. He knew how to joke around but also be serious and knew when to discipline. Instead of barking orders at me and expecting me to comply, he would talk it out with me. He would make it clear and make sure I understand it fully. He would never yell but he would throw baseballs at me as a joke and say: “What are you doing? Where is your head at?” He would say this in a joking matter. I would immediately know what I was doing wrong and I was motivated to fix it. It did not take any yelling or making me feel lesser. He found ways to relate and get his point across. To this day he still helps me with my swing and life. I sent him video of my swing because I was having trouble with my swing and he called me a couple days ago to explain what he saw. He took 30 minutes to talk about my swing when he has a family and a life to tend to. I really appreciate him and am glad to call him a friend and mentor.

All these things have made me the person I am today. I am grateful for the leaders I have have in my life. These experiences will help me as a manager wherever I may end up. I can use these skills I have learned in an office or as a coach. I want to motivate people to be the best they cna be in whatever it is they want to do.  Wherever I may end up, I am thankful for the experiences and have learned from them.